Top 15 Things To See & Do in Austin, TX
Austin, often referred to as the “Live Music Capital of the World“, is a blend of traditional Texan charm and a modern, progressive spirit. From vibrant music scenes to delectable dining spots, and scenic parks to avant-garde art spaces, Austin offers a plethora of must-see attractions. Here’s a curated list of the top things to see and experience while in Austin:
- Barton Springs Pool: This natural spring-fed pool, located within Zilker Park, is a favorite among locals and visitors alike. With a constant temperature of around 68 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s a perfect spot to cool off from the Texan heat.
- Texas State Capitol: One of the most distinguished state capitals in the country, this pink granite building stands as an architectural beauty. Free guided tours are available, where you can delve deep into Texas’ vibrant political history.
- South Congress Avenue (SoCo): Eclectic, lively, and quintessentially Austin, SoCo is packed with unique boutiques, renowned eateries, and the iconic ‘I Love You So Much’ graffiti. Don’t forget to catch a glimpse of the Congress Avenue Bats as they fly out from beneath the bridge at dusk.
- Live Music Venues: As the world’s live music capital, Austin offers an array of venues. From the legendary Continental Club to the Moody Theater, home of ACL Live, there’s music for everyone. Check local listings to catch a live show or festival.
- Lady Bird Lake: Named after former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson, this reservoir on the Colorado River is the heart of Austin’s outdoor scene. With opportunities for paddle boarding, kayaking, and a scenic hike-and-bike trail, it’s an outdoor enthusiast’s dream.
- Mount Bonnell: Climb up the stone steps to Austin’s highest point and be rewarded with panoramic views of the city and the Colorado River below. It’s a popular spot for both sunrise and sunset.
- The Blanton Museum of Art: Located on the University of Texas campus, this museum boasts a vast collection of European paintings, modern and contemporary American and Latin American art, and an Ellsworth Kelly’s stand-alone building installation, ‘Austin.’
- Rainey Street: Originally a residential street, Rainey was transformed into a bustling row of bungalow-style bars and food trucks. The vibrant nightlife and historic charm make it a favorite among locals and visitors.
- Austin’s Food Truck Scene: Don’t leave without diving into Austin’s gourmet food truck culture. Whether it’s BBQ from Micklethwait Craft Meats or vegan treats from Arlo’s, there’s something for every palate.
- Bullock Texas State History Museum: Delve deep into the state’s rich history. With interactive exhibits, IMAX screenings, and ever-changing special exhibits, it offers an engaging look into the stories that shaped Texas.
- East Austin: Once an overlooked part of town, East Austin has transformed into a hub for art, gastronomy, and culture. Explore the vibrant murals, pop into artisanal shops, and savor the culinary delights of this burgeoning neighborhood.
- Austin Central Library: Not your ordinary library! This architectural masterpiece is not just a place for books. With a rooftop garden, stunning views of the city, and a collection of more than half a million books, it’s a sanctuary for book lovers and architecture enthusiasts alike.
- LBJ Presidential Library: Discover the legacy of the 36th president of the United States, Lyndon B. Johnson. This library offers an in-depth look into the tumultuous 1960s, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Vietnam War.
- Zilker Botanical Garden: Nestled within Zilker Park, this garden is a patchwork of smaller themed gardens including the Japanese Garden and the Prehistoric Garden. Wander the pathways and enjoy the tranquil environment.
- Austin’s Street Art: The city’s walls and corners are adorned with vibrant murals and graffiti. From the famous ‘Greetings from Austin’ mural to the hidden gems in alleyways, the city is a canvas celebrating creativity.
Dive Into The Heart Of Texas
Austin, with its blend of Southern hospitality and a contemporary edge, provides an array of experiences for everyone. Whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, an art enthusiast, or a foodie, the city welcomes you with open arms and a promise of unforgettable memories. Pack your bags, wear comfortable shoes, and dive into the heart of Texas!
Book A Walking Tour With Tour ATX Today
Experience the vibrant heart of Texas like never before by booking a walking tour with us at Tour ATX today! Nestled within the sprawling landscapes of the Lone Star State, Austin boasts a unique blend of history, culture, music, and culinary delights waiting to be discovered. By choosing our expertly guided walking tours, you’ll immerse yourself in Austin’s iconic landmarks, hear the hidden stories of its streets, and truly feel the rhythm of this dynamic city.
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or a local looking to see Austin through fresh eyes, our tours promise insightful narratives, engaging adventures, and memories that will last a lifetime. Don’t just visit Austin, experience it with Tour ATX!